Thursday, May 04, 2006

Ah, poetry...

In Mind

There's in my mind a woman
of innocence, unadorned but

fair-featured and smelling of
apples or grass. She wears

a utopian smock or shift, her hair
is light brown and smooth, and she

is kind and very clean without
ostentation-

but she has
no imagination

And there's a
turbulent moon-ridden girl

or old woman, or both,
dressed in opals and rags, feathers

and torn taffeta,
who knows strange songs

but she is not kind.

~ Denise Levertov


***

So which one am I? Those who know me woud point out to that turbulent moon-ridden girl or that old woman in rags, opals, feathers...in recognition.

***

This afternoon, P and I flew Eddy, our proud rainbow-colored kite that we got from Shopwise one crazy summer evening in April. It's both strange and funny how I got lula when I was flying Eddy. It was as if I were the kite itself, flying in the summer-sky and I could feel the height, my distance from the earth and I was scared I would fall.

P was amused but he watched on, perhaps thinking, how could my wife have an acrophobic attack when she's just standing on a football field, looking up, flying a kite?

Ah, each day is a discovery, my dear. We're nearing our first anniversary. There are more wonderings about ourselves yet to come and I hope you'll always be there with me at the football field, looking on, letting me be, as I struggle to stand still on the ground.

3 Comments:

  • At 7:48 PM, Blogger janet said…

    I, too, would single you out as the moon-ridden woman. One (or two?) of your poems that I read also talked about the moon woman. =) Seems to be a tugging in your heart about the moon.

     
  • At 9:05 PM, Blogger color_blind said…

    One of these days, I shall start howling for all the world to here :)

     
  • At 8:33 PM, Blogger color_blind said…

    hear :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home